Thursday, August 23, 2012

Humor Has It


Have you ever been around small children and can’t understand a thing they are saying, yet their parents can interpret instantly? My kids are growing up- they will all be in school this year- but the younger two still say some adorable things: “Pamingo” for “flamingo,” “menember” for “remember,” “banilla” for “vanilla.”  And I just don’t have the heart to correct them, because I know all too soon their childish language will pass away.

Living purposefully means reminding yourself of what is important, and taking joy in life’s simplest and richest treasures. Kid-speak definitely makes the cut, and my family loves to talk about the funny things they used to say. My teenager, Cameron, has one of the funniest stories involving toddler language, so here it is-  I hope it brightens your week.

I had just picked him up from Pre-K, and I was asking him about his day on the drive home. As usual, I received a one word answer: “Fun!” In an attempt to dig out more details, I asked, “Well, what was your favorite part, and what was the worst part?” He responded with bright eyes, “Swinging was the best!” Then suddenly his countenance changed; “And the worst was when… we hit a girl at recess,” he stated soberly.
               
“You did what?? Cameron, you know that you are not supposed to hit- especially girls!” I exclaimed in shock. He threw his little hands in the air. “Mom, we did it,” he replied emphatically. “That’s even worse” I said, “I don’t care how many people were involved- you never hit a girl!”
                 
Looking in the rear-view mirror, I felt confused. Why couldn’t he understand that his actions were wrong? Why had he given into mob mentality at such a young age? Was the girl injured? My interrogation continued for at least a full ten minutes until he started to cry.
               
“But mom, we hit the girl,” he wailed from his car seat. “You’re not wistening to me, mom, WE did it!” And that’s when the light bulb went off.

When Cameron was 4, he couldn’t say the “l” sound. When he sang “Mary had a little lamb,” it sounded like “Mary had a wittle wamb.” It all made sense now. Lee did it, not we did it. “Oh my goodness- the worst part of your day was seeing Lee hit a girl on the playground?” Cameron shook his head yes. “I’m sorry, sweety, I just didn’t understand you,” I said apologetically, “How about a milkshake to help us both feel better?” He wiped a tear away and nodded an affirmation to my suggestion. “A strawberry one with wots of whipped cream,” he added. 

Photo by: Eliza Adams via Flickr.



                 
One extra-large shake later, and Cameron had recovered. Milkshakes still work to this day to cheer him up. We love to laugh about this story and others when we are together. It makes the younger girls giggle with delight and start thinking about the cute words they used to say. It’s so funny to hear Madelyn, now 6, say, “Back when I was 4,” as if she’s quite the adult now. “I used to say ‘pasketti’ instead of ‘spaghetti’- menember, mom?” she asks. Yep, I menember.
                
Humor can brighten your day quickly, but you have to choose to use it. I hope you have fun thinking back on some of the funny things that happened with your kids, grandkids or siblings this week. Happy reminiscing!

This post was adapted from my column, "The Upside of Downsizing," originally published Aug. 9 in the Ellijay Times-Courier.

               
        
               

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully written post, Beccs. Yes, living with purpose means pausing to remember to enjoy the little things.

    ReplyDelete